1/05/2006

where to begin? taiwan is exactly as i remember it -- and not at all as i remember it. the last time i was here, it was august, 1992. i was a crabby-as-hell adolescent, it was 100 degrees out and 100% humidity all the time. there were cockroaches as long as my forearm, and i spent two weeks nearly round-the-clock in the can, suffering from a really extreme case of montezuma's revenge (or chiang kai shek's revenge, really). which is why i hadn't gone back for 13 years. it still smells like a mixture of camphor, incense, car exhaust and pork. it's still a riot of color and confusion and noise. it's not nearly as dirty as it used to be (but i've given up hope that the taiwanese will ever abandon their squat-style, hole-in-the-ground public restrooms). the people are remarkably friendly and open and funny (especially compared to the piedmontese), my formerly bratty cousins are now 13 years older (they were then 2-5) and much more tolerable, and there's way more good things to eat than can you can shake a stick at. and actually, taiwan is not too hard on the eyes:

3 Comments:

Blogger winnie said...

from top to bottom:

wen wu temple at sun moon lake, near taichung
kenting national park (i think)
giant buddha at baguashan, near taichung
kaohsiung
jialeshui

1/07/2006 05:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for rose candy receipes, I stumbled over this blog. I was amazed by all the colourful photos.
After seeing them, it should be easy to explain why I'm a devout vegetarian.

What gets in my belly, also gets in my head.

Love,
Vedalila

http://vedalila.reallifelog.com/

That's said by Some Kind of Genius, huh...

Keep up the good work!

1/08/2007 04:21:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I loved your entry. I wish I knew what your name was so I could credit you in my xanga but alas, all I could credit was your blog. I am so happy to find abc's like us who are rediscovering our roots. Bravo. Bravo. :)

my xanga: http://www.xanga.com/michellemustudy2

1/08/2008 07:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home